Thursday, February 27, 2014

Been a long time

Hey there sports fans! Yeah, it has been since I think the summer of 2012 since I've posted on here. That was when I was home from college and hadn't the faintest idea of what to do with my life.

What has changed?

I've got a direction. I know where I want to go. Shouldn't that make me jump up and down screaming, or run down the street singing while everyone hits the back-up vocals? Yes. It should.

But I get complacent.

And I'm not sure why. I have a goal and a direction, yet the future seems so very far away. I get depressed when I wake up and feel like I am not going to make a meaningful impact on the day ahead of me. I just recently heard a TED talk about the difference between your future self and your present self, and dealing with that gap. Although there weren't many action items discussed, or ways to bridge the gap, the talk was about the necessities of understanding that there is a gap. Your future self should play just as much of a role in your decision making as your present self.

Can you merge the two? Can you make your present self and future self become some quasi-future self that makes decisions that benefit you in both time frames? Seems tough. Odysseus seemed to do it when his present self really wanted to hear the Sirens' song, but his future self wanted to live to see another day. So, he tied himself to the mast of the boat and filled his crew's ears with wax. Are there always creative solutions to be found to situations that cause us to choose between the two?

These are the things I think about.

1 comment:

  1. Miss these posts, wheres the real NAPSTER at these days? ;)

    ReplyDelete